Meet Ahnselm Morrow

Home of all Lore.
TheGhost

Postby TheGhost » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Hopefully sir Cluckles believes in reincarnation, or can we expect some kind of six million resources chicken or steam powered bionic super chicken perhaps?

Morrow

Postby Morrow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:30 pm

TheGhost wrote:Hopefully sir Cluckles believes in reincarnation, or can we expect some kind of six million resources chicken or steam powered bionic super chicken perhaps?

Worry not, Lord TheGhost. Neither Sir Cluckles nor I came to permanent harm during our tussle over my previous communication. Here is how events unfolded:

I was merely trying to express to Lord Fire820 my natural frustration at the immense banality of the questions that you all have been asking me recently. Sir Cluckles interrupted me to mention something about my behavior not being conducive to an amicable exchange of ideas. He said that if I were not more polite he would terminate my access to this forum.

In the moment, I was touched. Sir Cluckles was clearly trying to put me out of my misery caused by repeated interaction with futilely under-expanded minds. But I could not allow him to end a communication that surely is so much to the benefit of my readers.

Logical arguments could not deter my resolute friend from his intentions, and I was reduced to physical means to prevent him. I would have easily repulsed his assault except that his beak became mistakenly lodged around the first two fingers of my right hand. It was only after much shaking, rolling, and flapping that Sir Cluckles was finally able to remove said beak, and we returned to our usual amicable state, although covered with much more blood than is customary.

Now, readers, surely you agree with me that if I have been irascible of late, my reaction was well merited. But in order to preserve a cordial atmosphere, I am willing to forgo the privilege of pointing out your shortcomings as petitioners at the great fount of Morrowic knowledge. And now that my fingers are recovered enough to allow me to hold a quill again, we are ready to resume operations.

Fire820
Scholar

Postby Fire820 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:53 pm

Point out my "shortcomings" as you wish. That will be the main way I shall become a less "under-expanded mind".

That being said, I do hope that this is a question worthy of answering. Sir Morrow, you have stated before that to become knowledgeable, I must take one step at a time and record all that I observe. It has also been stated, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

My question is two-fold. Part one is this: Where should my journey begin? Part two is this: What should I record as I traverse the paths i choose to take?

Morrow

Postby Morrow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:44 am

Fire820 wrote:Point out my "shortcomings" as you wish. That will be the main way I shall become a less "under-expanded mind".

That being said, I do hope that this is a question worthy of answering. Sir Morrow, you have stated before that to become knowledgeable, I must take one step at a time and record all that I observe. It has also been stated, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

My question is two-fold. Part one is this: Where should my journey begin? Part two is this: What should I record as I traverse the paths i choose to take?

Ah, Lord Fire820. Now you are thinking like a true wayfarer on the great pilgrimage of knowledge. Part one of your question is simple. You cannot begin your journey from any place other than where you currently are. You have everything you need to move forward.

Part two of your question is where you show the most promise. Few people realize that wisdom involves a ruthless focusing of the attention, a consistent determination to ignore most of the vast barrage of information that assaults our senses every day. Only by eliminating the irrelevant do we become conscious of the significant.

For instance, at the moment I myself am intensely interested in the signs that the world is changing around us. I could devote my energies to military tactics or the mysteries of Aurora’s personality, as some of my questioners would have me do. But I refuse to be distracted! Instead, I am alert to unusual weather patterns, changes in animal migration, the vague sense of uneasiness displayed in both men and fungi across the globe.

I cannot tell you what area of life is worthy of your attention. But I can advise you to be aware of phenomena that strike you as being out of place, that peak your curiosity, that drive you in search of answers. Then you may become a worthy contributor to the great community of learning.

Fire820
Scholar

Postby Fire820 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:33 pm

What would be insignificant? Anything that doesn't pertain to my area of interest. And shall I right down EVERYTHING that I notice? I would think so.

TheGhost

Postby TheGhost » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:07 pm

What of the theories that everything is connected and therefore nothing is irrelevant or insignificant?

Fire820
Scholar

Postby Fire820 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:21 pm

TheGhost wrote:What of the theories that everything is connected and therefore nothing is irrelevant or insignificant?

I would believe only direct correlations would be considered relevant along with a few indirect if the indirect can be strongly tied. (Strongly meaning with few links to follow with a strong case to support the reasoning.) Correct Sir Morrow?

Morrow

Postby Morrow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:26 pm

Fire820 wrote:What would be insignificant? Anything that doesn't pertain to my area of interest. And shall I right down EVERYTHING that I notice? I would think so.

My dear man, how could you possibly write down everything? Perhaps you have hidden away a limitless cache of parchment. Perhaps your chickens instantly regrow their feathers, thus providing a never-ending supply of quills. Not all of us are so blessed. I myself have to be particularly gentle with my quills, as they come from the tail of my bosom companion, and not a mere farm animal.

No, writing down everything is not the answer. Instead, your mind must become your parchment. You must expand its passageways and define its storehouses. You must carefully file away each piece of information in its proper place, associated with the correct ideas. And then inside your head grows a magnificent map of your knowledge, and you can unfold each of its pages at leisure, peering close at minute detail at one moment and stepping back to observe the whole panorama at the next.

If your mental map is functioning properly, then you can easily discern what information is significant by seeing where it fits into the scheme of the whole.

MrSky
Lancer

Postby MrSky » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:15 am

Mr. Morrow, what do you know of transmogrify?

Kur0r0
Knight

Postby Kur0r0 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:01 pm

^*crosses finger for a Calvin & Hobbes reference in Morrow's response* =D

Return to “Lore”