You're joking...

General topics and discussion on Valor.
ILockHiM
Lancer

Postby ILockHiM » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:21 pm

You must be kidding man. Kill or be killed.

DukeOfBarnes
Lancer

Postby DukeOfBarnes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Hey, I end up at this page after the same thing happened to me

I would just like to add that I think this is poorly done by PlayMesh (the game itself is good)
but a big screen saying that "The barbarian hordes showed your people no mercy" is extremely misleading if what actually happened is that you go capped by another player
To make things worse it is a one size fits all screen that advises that you "return to the field and call them to your banner", but if they world is not new (as in Bullard's case, as he had been playing over a month) you can not (re)enter that world.

Being "lions of valor" I would assume that you would have capped a city or two by now, and you will know that you don't "show the people no mercy" or "scatter them to the winds" in fact, excluding the troops that get killed, the city continues on, and in fact, you "win over the loyalty" of the people with you scholar.

I'm not surprised by Bullard's response to it, I too was very confused by it as it doesn't say what (you claim) it actually means at all.

PlayMesh Staff, if you read this a little more direction, or just a "what happened" button that tells you what ACTUALLY happened would be helpful. when I got it, I had a city that had never been attacked and that I had been playing just 7 hours ago.
PlayMesh Staff what I actually think would be ideal, would be if you could still enter the world, still check your mail and reports (so you could see what happened), still see guild forums (so you could tell your guild what happened), basically still have all the basic functionality, but whenever you click on the button to go to your city, it brings up the "The barbarian hordes showed your people no mercy" where the view of your city used to go. Even if it only did this for 24 or 48 hours

regardless of how this reads, this post is supposed to be helpful, not an angry rant :P
the game is kill or be killed
but just misleading comment about barbarian hordes are not helpful

game is still good
I'm not going anywhere (other than to a new world to try again)

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:16 am

DukeOfBarnes wrote:Hey, I end up at this page after the same thing happened to me

I would just like to add that I think this is poorly done by PlayMesh (the game itself is good)
but a big screen saying that "The barbarian hordes showed your people no mercy" is extremely misleading if what actually happened is that you go capped by another player
To make things worse it is a one size fits all screen that advises that you "return to the field and call them to your banner", but if they world is not new (as in Bullard's case, as he had been playing over a month) you can not (re)enter that world.

Being "lions of valor" I would assume that you would have capped a city or two by now, and you will know that you don't "show the people no mercy" or "scatter them to the winds" in fact, excluding the troops that get killed, the city continues on, and in fact, you "win over the loyalty" of the people with you scholar.

I'm not surprised by Bullard's response to it, I too was very confused by it as it doesn't say what (you claim) it actually means at all.

PlayMesh Staff, if you read this a little more direction, or just a "what happened" button that tells you what ACTUALLY happened would be helpful. when I got it, I had a city that had never been attacked and that I had been playing just 7 hours ago.
PlayMesh Staff what I actually think would be ideal, would be if you could still enter the world, still check your mail and reports (so you could see what happened), still see guild forums (so you could tell your guild what happened), basically still have all the basic functionality, but whenever you click on the button to go to your city, it brings up the "The barbarian hordes showed your people no mercy" where the view of your city used to go. Even if it only did this for 24 or 48 hours

regardless of how this reads, this post is supposed to be helpful, not an angry rant :P
the game is kill or be killed
but just misleading comment about barbarian hordes are not helpful

game is still good
I'm not going anywhere (other than to a new world to try again)

I actually really like this idea. It's not something we've put much effort into optimizing around (clearly) because of how rarely it occurs. I doubt I can push it in before the revamp, but I'll at least see what kind of work would be required to make a few changes around the popup (or at least change the text to indicate it was a player rather than a barbarian).

DukeOfBarnes
Lancer

Postby DukeOfBarnes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:48 am

Thank you PwnLaw

both for your quick reply, and for comments on the idea/post

at first I thought I had been attacked by a barbarian city (as per peoples comments on Aurora's visions) but then I read that they were to be part of the revamp that shouldn't have come in yet

then I had other thoughts like maybe because I had not bothered with Aurora's "keep the barbarian's at bay" quest, that I... well didn't keep the barbarians at bay.

Now that I know that what actually happened I can see that it is probably not a situation that happens that often. As it basically means that someone (and someone close probably due to the time it took in my case) (or someone much larger with many scholars for many attack waves) has taken a city quickly, that they have previously shown no aggression to (arguably the best way mind you)
On top of that, next time I will know, it is only really confusing the first time it happens, like all things once you know what it means, it is obvious. I also imagine that you are aware that either you are being attacked or that you have an unfriendly neighbour most times that you get capped.

but, and since you where so quick to answer my previous post
why does Valor give you push messages for things like "your warehouse is full" and "your beginner protection is about to end" but not for something you really need to know like "you are being attacked" ?
I wondered the same thing after another city of mine in a different world (which I had set up with far more resources than troops) was farmed for several hours straight.
That is that kind of thing I would really like a push message about.

thanks again for the quick reply Pwnlaw

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:59 am

DukeOfBarnes wrote:Thank you PwnLaw

both for your quick reply, and for comments on the idea/post

at first I thought I had been attacked by a barbarian city (as per peoples comments on Aurora's visions) but then I read that they were to be part of the revamp that shouldn't have come in yet

then I had other thoughts like maybe because I had not bothered with Aurora's "keep the barbarian's at bay" quest, that I... well didn't keep the barbarians at bay.

Now that I know that what actually happened I can see that it is probably not a situation that happens that often. As it basically means that someone (and someone close probably due to the time it took in my case) (or someone much larger with many scholars for many attack waves) has taken a city quickly, that they have previously shown no aggression to (arguably the best way mind you)
On top of that, next time I will know, it is only really confusing the first time it happens, like all things once you know what it means, it is obvious. I also imagine that you are aware that either you are being attacked or that you have an unfriendly neighbour most times that you get capped.

but, and since you where so quick to answer my previous post
why does Valor give you push messages for things like "your warehouse is full" and "your beginner protection is about to end" but not for something you really need to know like "you are being attacked" ?
I wondered the same thing after another city of mine in a different world (which I had set up with far more resources than troops) was farmed for several hours straight.
That is that kind of thing I would really like a push message about.

thanks again for the quick reply Pwnlaw

On the push notice side -- You've hit on something that I've identified as a major area for improvement. This is one of the rare games where people would actually want MORE push notices, not less. From my understanding, push notices were originally designed to provide a player with basic beginning information (so they would remember to check until they could get a grasp for the flow of the game). I'm very keen to look at taking push notices into a much more comprehensive direction and allow players to opt out if they would rather not receive them. Again, post revamp.

DukeOfBarnes
Lancer

Postby DukeOfBarnes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:46 am

Yeah, I would expect all the changes for this revamp would already be decided, and anything spoken of now would be future changes

but it is always good to see vision for the close future and a bit more vision beyond that

again
good work on the game

and good work on this forum too

ThatValorPlayer
Knight

Postby ThatValorPlayer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:51 am

Even as a temporary fix, change the message to say something
Like 'your final city was conquered by xxxx'

Ikier

Postby Ikier » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:19 pm

About push messages...I would just like it if they worked as intended. My settings in Valor and on the phone are right - I just don't get them (so I check in whenever I can too check for incomings)

cjclags
Knight

Postby cjclags » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Avikal wrote:Or maybe join an active and strong guild

Sounds like you got pwned.

wafflebot
Lancer

Postby wafflebot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:50 am

ILockHiM wrote:You must be kidding man. Kill or be killed.

If there was a like button, I would've pressed it.

Return to “General”