Server hardware failure??

General topics and discussion on Valor.
Carloboy
Lancer

Postby Carloboy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:45 pm

DirtySouthATL wrote:This isn't exactly like they are hitting "restore to last know good configuration" on a windows computer. Lol.

If they had a backup of their SQL DB, imo it should actually be way simpler then that. Replace bad sql with the good one and reboot.

LordFirefall

Postby LordFirefall » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Plaperriere wrote:Seriously Fire? Do you work for Quark? All you keep doing is protecting and defending them, when (as I posted yesterday, and others are posting today)...they told us last time they would not let this happen again. Period. Without the paying customers, all this glamour, the forums, the GAME, doesnt exist! Period. Do you comprehend that? The fact is, those of us who choose to continue to dump cash into this game, and make it free for everyone else...have an absolute right to complain and demand better service. Whether you like it or not, or throw every scenario how "cost effectiveness" versus "risk" is why this happened again...is irrelevant. You want to make money, you have to spend it. Stop spending it on the game for now, and spend it on reliability. This isnt Call of Duty, Company of Heroes, or other strategy games that require real time graphics and powerful graphics cards. We play on a Phone or Tablet for Christ sake. If it is a question of competent help, find someone else. They paid a lot of money I assume to bring in Orlor to make good changes to the playability of the game...do the same for the most important part of the game, and get Admins that understand what needs to be done to keep it up and running! The sad thing is, I am held hostage at this point to wait and play because I have gold sitting in my account that I paid for. I can't quit, because its like throwing the money out the window. So, I absolutely have a right to find out why they continue to blow smoke up my a** when it comes to empty promises of fixing things. If I wanted that, I would just continue to watch what Washington does in Congress!

No, I do not work for Quark. I've been a player for 2+ years now, and I've spent 25+ years making IT and staffing decisions on a daily basis. I just get tired of people who think they are a subject matter expert on procedures at a company they've never been at IRL.

Yes, Quark owes us regular updates as to their progress. They've been doing that, it just isn't the updates we want to hear. To expect them to come on the forum and divulge exactly what happened, or tell us exactly what they are doing to fix it is unreasonable for us to ask. It's also stupid of them to do it, because as soon as things don't go as planned (which is frequent in these cases), folks will line up to complain. You've done it above - no one from Quark said anything last time that they would never let this happen again. Orlor (who is the Community Manager - nothing more) is smart enough not to make a statement like that.

As far as fixing playability, do a search on the forums and you'll see they are working on it with MCM and other things. Granted, its not as fast as I would like, but I've worked system deployment on more than one system that had to be rebuilt in order to make it better. It's not an easy or a quick task. There's an old saying, you can have it cheap, quick, or good. You're not getting all three.

And remember, just as you have a right to complain, I also have a right to poke holes in those same complaints.
W95 Praetorian Guard Guild Leader
Kakao: LordFirefall or Firefall

Imya
Knight

Postby Imya » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:37 am

LordFirefall wrote:Without seeing their current operation, I couldn't say. However, when I look at the amount of job openings they have, the salaries those jobs command, as well as projects I know are in the works, its a matter of deciding where best to dedicate resources. I'm willing to deal with a 2-3 day outage, every 4-5 months, if it means they fill some of the positions they have open and are able to improve stability and MCM.

Sadly some of us are still unable to play on the worlds we want too. And the three day server outage caused a back up of support tickets. I am locked out of one world due to some odd backend big support ticket filed Friday morning no one looked at it by Fruday night still locked out.

So I lost my boosters and queue extender on the world and the free ones we got are being wasted. I was on th fence about continuing to play based on several factors of the game bit after 6 days of not being able to play and three of being exposed while others can I'm pretty sure I'm done paying to play this game for a while.

I will say the speed worlds are nice mostly because they only take 2.5 hours instead of weeks and months. I feel for the server outage and the trouble it has caused quark and their players. Having dealt with a similar issue once at work I understand how some times bad things happen and hindsight is 20/20.

I suspect Quark will not let the same server issue happen more than once and some times it needs to happen to prevent it I the future.

Best of luck to anyone else in my situation with a bugged world that crashes valor or refuses to let you on.

Return to “General”