43K maxed cities. Are they worth it?

Discuss or develop strategies here!
MechaStorm

Postby MechaStorm » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:33 pm

it really depends on the player style. for instance i never max my cities out unless i cap them that way. the most i do is abt 35k. i like to have more space to put troops. and yeah once you have over 100 cities it does begin to make a tell tale sign. to me fortresses are just a bigger target to hit. under 40k cities you cant tell how strong they are until you click on it. fortresses you automatically know theyre strong. so in my opinin its not worth it to max it out. points arent an issue for me. i dont care if im a low ranking player but as long as i have some target to kill im fine. id rather have clearing power to help my guild rather than look impressive

LordSeaice
Knight

Postby LordSeaice » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 pm

I do see you point of view Mecha! Just to be clear I don't max my cities at all either but try to get them over the 40K points. Newer Valorians, I guess would stay clear of a fortress in the beginning as it's intimidating to them as quite few players are as accomplished like you or Fire and all guilds/players strategies are individualized, therefore I can only speak for myself in the way our/my guild has prospered. I play 1 world only atm.
I was actually found by a Lion of Valor and who has taught me the ins and outs of his style of game play and am very grateful to him for the knowledge passed to me, I would not be as successful as I am without his guidance. I have always loved these types of games, working in a team for the greater good of all associated and look forward to battle with or against you in the future!!

Kur0r0
Knight

Postby Kur0r0 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Gotta agree with Mecha again (we have very similar playing styles!). Besides my main city, I don't really have any over 40k. Yea it does make you a bigger target, but more than anything I just like the flexibility and room. Points are nice and appearances do matter, but survival and expansion is my ultimate goal =)

TheHeartlessKiller
Guardian

Postby TheHeartlessKiller » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:16 pm

You know what I love to do? I love to take out people's academies when their forges are lvl 5 then I destroy their city hall and rally point so they can't counter attack. Then they can't rebuild for weeks.

Therkyn
Lancer

rally point

Postby Therkyn » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:19 pm

Oooh, rally point. a 1 minute rebuild. All you do is eliminate their ability to build scholars in that city, which they arent doing if they're rebuilding. City hall does slow their wall rebuild though.

LordFirefall

Postby LordFirefall » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:02 pm

Taking the rally point out hinders their ability to dodge. 20 attacks, spaced 20 minutes apart, all set to rally point, can screw up their day enough to slip in those scholars.

Poppie
Guardian

Postby Poppie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Everyone build their cities 43k You will never go wrong doing that!!!!!

LordFirefall

Postby LordFirefall » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:34 am

Read up in the thread.

bananabandana

Postby bananabandana » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:45 am

"Building up to 43k" as an isolated case is a horribly suboptimal strategy, and I agree that more capacity for troops and avoiding painting a target on yourself are both legitimate reasons for keeping your cities below 40k.

On the larger scope of things; however, I do enjoy building up to 43k eventually. As the game is right now, I see the primary deciding factor of the game a points race. Of course, world domination is a more definitive goal, but for a single player, the process to that goal can seem very far off and bleak. So getting that every bit of point edge on opponents keeps the game interesting for me.

One could argue that players who don't cap their cities have better potential for conquering more cities faster, which will ultimately give them more points. I am not arguing against that, which is why I would only build up past 40k eventually. For example, players may be attracted to 40k+ cities more than smaller cities, but they are much more likely to take a city of any decent point value that further out from the main cluster. If I have a tight cluster of like 8-10 cities, I can pretty safely start upgrading into the 40k's without fear of people targeting exclusively.

As for the better use of troops, if I get into the above scenario along with having tons of guildmates controlling all the decent cities in the surrounding area. I've pretty much castrated myself in terms of military potential for that city (aside from the occasional cross-region nuke). The city has basically become a scholarship farm, so why not build out the rest of those buildings?

In summation, I admit that 40k+ does not serve much utility value for a city, but there are situations where I would justifiably do it anyway for the extra points. Besides, I just love seeing the kickass moats!

LordFirefall

Postby LordFirefall » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:36 pm

bananabandana wrote:As for the better use of troops, if I get into the above scenario along with having tons of guildmates controlling all the decent cities in the surrounding area. I've pretty much castrated myself in terms of military potential for that city (aside from the occasional cross-region nuke). The city has basically become a scholarship farm, so why not build out the rest of those buildings?

Three words - pure defense city. Train guards exclusively and send them to support cities on the front lines, so those cities can be pure offense.

Return to “Strategy”