Knights or Guardians for defense?

Discuss or develop strategies here!
T3hAwsum
Lancer

Knights or Guardians for defense?

Postby T3hAwsum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:49 am

Ignore resource cost. What would be the best unit for defending a city, based on food cost?

Bane554
Knight

Postby Bane554 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Guardians are the best mounted defense in the game. Their food cost is high but knights just don't have very much defense at all. I think a combination of lancers and sentries may be a better defense than guardians because of the food cost, but I usually build a couple thousand lancers and sentries in my cities and then maybe a thousand guardians as well.

as for mobile defense guardians are the best because of their move speed, they can get around to help people fast, and also if the person in need is supported by multiple people using guardians then they become better then lancers and sentries because you can get infinite food count of support in your city.

also in the new style standard worlds, I think sentries and guardians are much more important than lancers. All of the barbarian cities that make up most of a players mass can only build infantry, so you can counter that with guardians or sentries. its good to build some lancers still in new worlds, but you deff want much more sentries.

Sirboland
Knight

Postby Sirboland » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:54 pm

Well one unit.. Guards, Overall they are the best troop,

3rd Fastest,

Bad Resouse Plunder,

3rd Best Attack,

Best Defence.

That for farm space,, If you are new, Guards are best overall troop, Ill check soon and reply but i think having 10000 Lancers and 10000 Sentries are better than having 5000 Guards,, Although for Offence you would be better off sending the guards..

Although dont only use Guards, Using Beserkers for attacking is strongly reccomended by me, Because if they get 20000Lancers like alot of noobs do..and they get a 25 wall... Your Guards will splatter on that wall like they dont have a tomorrow which they wouldnt

Willia
Knight

Postby Willia » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Ok I went through this awhile ago to get this stuff figured out. This applies to older worlds for sure and assuming they have not changed stats on the newer worlds.

Best defence units are lancers and sentries. They are geared specific so you can build to what is attacking you (lancers for mounted and sentries for infantry) though I try to build even since it gives best overall protection. They are slow travelling units but have best defence. Next for defence is guardians. They are faster for moving but 2 lancers and 2 sentries are better defence than one guardian and take the same food.

Offence depends on what defences are in place but best overall bang is zerks. They are cheap and you can get a lot of them in a single city. Next is knights. Last is a defence unit but lots of people use them to attack. Guardians do good damage but overall get pretty expensive if you are going straight attacks with minimal defence use.

Sentries and lancers are not advised to be used to attack.

Knights can be used for defence if needed but also not advised.

Scouts are just to scout cities and defend from others scouting you.

Lancers defend against mounted best, sentries against infantry.

Zerks kill lancers best and knights kill sentries best.

Best overall unit is guards but not advised to use just them for anything since they do take longer to build and take more population (food)

I have heard both rams and ballistas can also be used for defence but have not looked into it since they cost a lot, take a lot of food and take forever to build.

I know I added more than just the answer looked for but hope it will assist anyone who reads this.

Slaskio
Lancer

Postby Slaskio » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:59 am

Willia, very good explaination. I'd like to add though that truely attacking with guards is almost as bad as attacking with lancers(5 lancers = 1 guard in attack) guards are for convience. And overall I might have to go with sentries as being the better unit as a whole. (Decent haul, "best" defense as in total defense points, and well let's face it, we all have extra iron). And I'd only use rams/bals as emergency defense. (Build in city being attacked so all troop buildings have a queue). In the end, build to your current situation and never favor just one troop type in any class. (Infantry, mounted, demolition)

MyName999
Scholar

Postby MyName999 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:11 am

OK guys, I posted this in so much kko forums that I now can presume it went in public domain, not only reserved for the guilds I was in:

Every troop must be compared for the same amount of food used, as cities have LIMITED amount of food, and as most players use whole troops (or a limited pourcentage) of whole city's army for attacking or for defense.

"We remark each ground unit is dedicated to a specific role: Berseker are the best attacking unit, Sentry are best for defense against infantry while Lancers are bests defenders against Cavalry. But they are weak in another role!
The best multipotent unit is so the Guardians, as only an equal mixture of Lancer+Sentry+Besekers can compete, but the quicker travel speed and easyer recruitment is in favor or Guard usage.
Comparaison between Rams and Ballistas is nearly alway good for Ballistas... And they can target any building (except Hiding place), but are a little bit less efficient than Siege Rams against walls..."

[ATTACH]65[/ATTACH]

MyName999
Scholar

Postby MyName999 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:13 am

"Now, if for any reason, we're lacking resources, conclusions are the same.
Only change are that differences between troops are higher if we only take on note the resources that is needed on maximum (because it would be first resources lacking, and so stopping whole production...)"

[ATTACH]69[/ATTACH]

MyName999
Scholar

Postby MyName999 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:14 am

"Another case: we only need max efficiency when lacking time; recruitment must be quicker as possible.

In this case best attacking unit is Knight, then Guards, before Bersekers!

For defense, Guards are bests before mixing of Lancer and Sentry if defense against infantry AND cavalry is needed."

[ATTACH]74[/ATTACH]

MyName999
Scholar

Postby MyName999 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:14 am

"Last case, as during hard siege: we need max efficiency with minimum resources requirment and quickest enrolment. Same conclusions as before:

Best attacking unit is Knight, then Guards, before Bersekers!

For defense, Guards are bests before mixing of Lancer and Sentry if defense against infantry AND cavalry is needed."

[ATTACH]75[/ATTACH]

MyName999
Scholar

Postby MyName999 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:17 am

Hope you've enjoyed, this is now REALLY public...

Return to “Strategy”