Valor is currently down due to Amazon Web Services Issue

Previous announcements and other threads rest here
DjMcBrien
Knight

Postby DjMcBrien » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 am

PwnLaw wrote:Still working on it. Amazon has the servers back up in the theoretical sense, but practically they're too slow to be functional for a game like ours.

World 110 should get all of the amazon staff in a guild and see how long they survive against the world

Valinor
Lancer

Postby Valinor » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 am

I hope they are suitably apologetic. I've got team members crawling up the wall. Chat room is going ballistic. Thanks for keeping us updated PL.

michseeine
Lancer

Postby michseeine » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:55 am

should be better if the rebuilds are done. maybe in 8 hours or so

Aniruddh
Lancer

Postby Aniruddh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:56 am

Lol just a thought design lead. You're activity in this thread might just spare you a few more days in w100. People here are certainly happy that you're responding.

Indy500
Lancer

Postby Indy500 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:58 am

PwnLaw wrote:Still working on it. Amazon has the servers back up in the theoretical sense, but practically they're too slow to be functional for a game like ours.

Good to know we can "theoretically" play. Seriously though, there is talk in the chat rooms of a rollback. Is this a likely?

Mzalaznik
Lancer

Postby Mzalaznik » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:08 am

Lol....how many greenhouse gasses were produced leading up to 1912??

Indy500
Lancer

Postby Indy500 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:09 am

Mzalaznik wrote:Lol....how many greenhouse gasses were produced leading up to 1912??
Actually yes, the industrial revolution was hell on the environment.

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:10 am

Indy500 wrote:Good to know we can "theoretically" play. Seriously though, there is talk in the chat rooms of a rollback. Is this a likely?

Yea, I'm not big on theories either.

A lot depends on how things get resolved with Amazon. Typically the world continues moving forward even in the event of a down time. We have backups that we can revert to, but we've often felt that it was more unfair to roll back actions rather than have a period of inefficiency (full warehouses) and replace missing elements for people who could not access the game. Neither is a particularly attractive option. We definitely do not like unraveling well executed strategies though.

The more likely scenario is an inefficiency period at the moment. But if we cannot get the instance of the game up that we had running on those servers, we'll have to use a backup.

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:11 am

Aniruddh wrote:Lol just a thought design lead. You're activity in this thread might just spare you a few more days in w100. People here are certainly happy that you're responding.

Poor Orlor needed to grab some Z's and I'm working on a presentation for a trip I need to take tomorrow. The timing of all of this is exquisitely bad.

Jodamann

Postby Jodamann » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:14 am

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012852/amazon-web-services-outage-takes-out-popular-websites-again.html

Interesting comment:

dnshat
10/22/2012 06:56 PM PDT

This is why I suggest setting up a replicated hosting environment in 2 different vendors - or at least 2 different AWS datacenters. Its trivial - and cheap - to setup DNS Failover between multiple hot sites using dnshat.com services. Websites don't have to go down just because of an AWS outage.

Return to “Event Archive”