New unit: Cannon

Post here any ideas or suggestions you have for improving Valor.

Would the cannon be a great unit addtion to valor?

You may select 1 option

View results

Dewarrior
Knight

New unit: Cannon

Postby Dewarrior » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:20 pm

I was thinking a good addition to the workshop is a cannon. The cannon can be used on both armies and builds which in the late middle ages in Europe and Middle East were their uses. I think the cannon should require a level 10 workshop, and a level 20 forge to research. I think the research should cost 3500 wood, 2500 clay, and 4500 iron while taking 10 hours to resarch. When the cannon is ready to produce the production should require 350 wood, 300 clay, 250 iron, a population of 8, and 14 minutes of production time. When the cannon is produced and ready to go into battle I think the cannon should travel at the same speed as the balista because they are both horse drawn siege weapons. I also think the cannon should have a drop down selection option where the player can select wether the unit will attack a building or unit then the player can chose which building or unit to attack. I think the cannon should have the same defense stregnth and attack stregnth as the balista. While the cannon is in the player's city the cannon can act as extra wall defense, many kingdoms in the late middle ages used cannons as wall defense, PM can decide on the value of in city defense with the cannon becuase I'm not sure on how this function would work with the wall defense bonus.

Dewarrior
Knight

Postby Dewarrior » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:09 am

Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, comments and ideas, I really want this to be a strong idea that one day it could be in valor.

Jonathan7947
Knight

Postby Jonathan7947 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 pm

Awesome idea!!!! :D

Dewarrior
Knight

Postby Dewarrior » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:32 pm

I was thinking that on select worlds if PM where it's possible having it upgradeable like everything else

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:07 pm

Dewarrior wrote:I was thinking a good addition to the workshop is a cannon. The cannon can be used on both armies and builds which in the late middle ages in Europe and Middle East were their uses. I think the cannon should require a level 10 workshop, and a level 20 forge to research. I think the research should cost 3500 wood, 2500 clay, and 4500 iron while taking 10 hours to resarch. When the cannon is ready to produce the production should require 350 wood, 300 clay, 250 iron, a population of 8, and 14 minutes of production time. When the cannon is produced and ready to go into battle I think the cannon should travel at the same speed as the balista because they are both horse drawn siege weapons. I also think the cannon should have a drop down selection option where the player can select wether the unit will attack a building or unit then the player can chose which building or unit to attack. I think the cannon should have the same defense stregnth and attack stregnth as the balista. While the cannon is in the player's city the cannon can act as extra wall defense, many kingdoms in the late middle ages used cannons as wall defense, PM can decide on the value of in city defense with the cannon becuase I'm not sure on how this function would work with the wall defense bonus.

First of all, I appreciate the thought put into the idea. It's pretty comprehensive in terms of the information required for us to analyze the idea.

With respect to the idea:
- Kudos on coming up with something for the workshop. It's generally an underutilized building and we've looked at what can be done about that for some time.
- I would see people using this in a primarily defensive capability, which makes me nervous given the ability for defense to stack. As a general matter, I think it'd be better to have more units designed to create options on the attack side.
- When I consider additional units, I'm generally looking for them to contribute something unique to the battlefield. I like that you've put in a special ability on the wall defense side, but less enthusiastic about how closely it mirrors ballista on the offense.

In short: Well thought out and interesting, but I'd really be interested in seeing you do another iteration, particularly to differentiate it on the offense side. No guarantees on it hitting the game any time soon (our development pipeline is full through ~December), but it could have an impact on how we think about things.

Dewarrior
Knight

Postby Dewarrior » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:26 pm

I was thinking it maybe a little too defensive and it would upset the balance that's why I'm thinking get rid of the cannon's extra defense percentage and just have the wall defense percentage, that way people would have to use it in pvp. I was also thinking to differentiate the cannon from the balista having it only able to attack units "like the ottoman empire used the cannon for attacking armies." I understand not all ideas will make it into valor but many ideas can influence other ideas that maybe better.

Dewarrior
Knight

Postby Dewarrior » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:27 am

I was thinking again that the cannon is too much like the ballista so I'm changing another aspect of the cannon, I’m thinking the cannon's offensive attack should be higher than the ballista since the cannon uses gunpowder and the ballistae do not. Another aspect I'm changing is defensive strength I think it should have a lower defense than the ballista because ballistae are easier to reload than the cannon which means the cannon is left more vulnerable while reloading.

pizzaking
Knight

Postby pizzaking » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:56 am

I'd like the game units to stay how they are. Putting in this new fancier units will make it feel like a completely different game. I like the more medival feeling to it with the older technology.

Dewarrior
Knight

Postby Dewarrior » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:06 am

Pizza king I respect your opinion, but There isn't really a unit to allow for more strategy to be used in pvp, that's why I sugested it, right now it's just the same pvp strategy day after, world after world yes some worlds have upgrades but that only changes pvp strategy on those worlds.

Return to “Ideas/Suggestions”