Archers

Post here any ideas or suggestions you have for improving Valor.
Shaddamiv
Lancer

Postby Shaddamiv » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:55 am

Here you go:
Archers do extra damage to foot soldiers. Create a unit called shield bearers that do low damage but give extra defense to foot soldiers. Knights do extra damage to shield bearers. On a side note all armies had instruments in war to raise morale and instill fear.

Valonsire
Lancer

Postby Valonsire » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:19 am

Tribal Wars has archers, all you guys need to do is check TW and find out how they make archers fit into the game. Tribal wars is almost exactly the same as Valor. Im actually SURPRISED that Valor doesnt have archers.

AKhotline
Knight

Postby AKhotline » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:49 am

Almost every MMO games have arches, to would be awesome to have them, look how big this hit is. ARCHERS ARE A MUST HAVE!!!
Please add them!

Wrecking
Knight

Postby Wrecking » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:26 pm

It would make the system unbalanced.

Shaddamiv
Lancer

Postby Shaddamiv » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Message from Orlor: Please no personal insults. This is a nice debate about Archer units being in Valor. Lets keep this civil.

Please also try to explain why you think they would/would not be nice to have in Valor. Just stating that they would be terrible doesn't add a lot to the discussion.

Thorvaald
Lancer

Postby Thorvaald » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:15 am

Im sorry but, I stopped reading after pg 3. Valorgamer I think had the best idea to that point.

Walls already grant defensive bonuses to troops so Archers ahould not benefit more b/c of the wall. Rams were/are historically covered to protect them from projectiles and oil. Ballistas hit after troops so that wall defenses count even if you're attacking the wall so I believe if Archers have an attack of say 30-40 but, 5-10 defense vs infantry and less vs cavalry/mounted troops and they attack before other ground units you can't send them on their own b/c they have no "defensive line" in front of them. Sorry for the run on sentence. I apologize if this is a repeat but, I had to add this. I will read the other posts when I have time. Good luck Devs!

Thorvaald
Lancer

Postby Thorvaald » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:47 am

Ok. I've caught up. Kausca, Phoenix Edge and I have very similar ideas and I, therefore agree with that. ;-). As far as Rogues go. Marti92 - u make them as Bandits. Valor already has a Rogue. They call it a Scout. If the Devs give the Scout the ability to either attack other Scouts in a city or pick a target to sabotage, like Ballistas to destroy, your Rogue is alive and well.

Archers have to be researched b/c it's a specialization. Having a wall does not automatically give the power to be a bowyer, fletcher and archer. I believe you can add an offensive increase to Archers to show they have greater range and are hidden better from higher walls.

I am a fan of neither the ambush idea nor the better vs siege weapons idea. The Ballistas did indeed shoot farther than crossbows, to my knowledge. I think it would be a nightmare for the Devs to figure out where the ambush would happen. Unless the ambusher designates a direction. But, then too the attacker should be given a direction to attack from which just doesn't seem feasible.

fifty
Lancer

Postby fifty » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:07 pm

I have a terrible idea. Enable archers to kill scholar on the way. it will be too complicated if allow any troops to attack attacking troops. may be can limit that attack to be fired from the city being attacked. and then there should be a way to protect my scholar, probably also by archers or guardian. The game have to limit the number of attack on incoming troops from one city and limit that it can use archers only in that special counter attack.
so when I issue an attack, i have to think more, may be divide my troops into many parts, and make some fake attacks, make it difficult to guess which wave of attack contains a scholar, or may be can send 2 scholar to make sure a loyalty drop, in case one scholar died. what about enable archer to protect scholar? against archer attack only.
finally, the attacking player should not be able to know , if his certain attacking troop is targeted by a special archer attack!

Thelonious
Lancer

Postby Thelonious » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 pm

What if we just had archers be a unit that did lots of damage but didn't fully commit offensively and covered your retreat. Defensively they could reduce morale of the attacker.

Vasasalo
Guardian

Postby Vasasalo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Someone hinted at a ideal earlier but it wasn't sent as an ideal just a historical fact of roles.
If you want to make archers, make them as high attack units with low armor but high maneuverability and attack speed as they travel light.
The counter to an archer would be the crossbow men. Low attack with higher defense but low maneuverability and attack speed as they were armored and it takes longer to load a crossbow.
Now I know it sounds like it doesn't work out but it would cross each other out.
Both units useless at close range.
Something like that atleast.
Basically 1 archer can shoot twice as fast but they have to hit 1 crossbow men 2x to kill them.
Likewise, 1 crossbow men are 2xs slower then 1 archer but he only has to hit him once to kill the archer.

Return to “Ideas/Suggestions”