Archers

Post here any ideas or suggestions you have for improving Valor.
Michael2
Lancer

Postby Michael2 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:24 pm

i think if archer/cav. archer was to be added it would look something like this:

Archer- 60 wood, 20 clay, 40 iron, 1 pop. space, 15 attack, 40 defense vs mounted & foot, 10 speed, 10 haul.

Cav. archer- 120 wood, 80 clay, 100 iron, 2 pop.space, 60 attack, 35 defense vs mounted, 45 defense vs foot, 5 speed, 25 haul

i also think it would be good to have just a small defensive bonus for archer the higher the wall level is.

Vexulinculen
Lancer

Postby Vexulinculen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:30 pm

I've read over all of this and this is my thoughts and how I think it should work.

Archers are a part of the wall.
Meaning the wall has its OWN population number per level. Starting at 10 when the wall has a standing point. I think that we should have it were the population is tied into the wall population but the wall has a max pop.
And that is how many archers it can hold at that level.

Ex.

Wall 10.
Archers trained- 0/100

So to train, you must click on the wall, and click train archer, and decide how many to train. I think 150wood, 125 clay and 100 iron is reasonable since it is a special unit.
Train times should be longer, seeing how it takes time to train archers. I'd say 3:30 starting.

Now so you train 100 of them. Now your wall would read. ( and make it always visible like a level to a building, except the visible part is how many archers are in the wall at the time.)

Wall lvl 10
100/100 ( but for city graphical view it would just say 100 unless you clicked on the all and it then gives you the 100/100 amount.

Now I think for each level ( archers become available at wall level 10 and forge training) the limit should be raised like so...

So at level 10- 100
Lvl 11-150
Lvl 12 - 200
Lvl 13- 275
Lvl 14- 400
Lvl 18- 800
Lvl 20- 1000
Lvl 21- 1,200
Lvl 23- 1,600
Lvl 25- 2,000.

I know may seem high, but. That number ties into population as well. So It is really, your sacrificing attacking troop population for defense and it will make attacking alot more strategic.

I know I get like 3,000 beserkers and 3,500 guardians to attack BUT with rams and everything and archers you can't have them all with the pop cap at 24K about. So you have to decide and figure out what you willing to lose, find a balance with defense and attacking.

ALSO!! When you upgrade the archer in the forge, you can upgrade there armor and equipment but, with that it takes up more space on the wall. Meaning you won't be able to have as many archers on the wall. So now it is.

Lvl 25 wall with level 1 archer
- 0/2000

Lvl 25 wall with lvl 2 archer
- 0/1,600

Lvl 25 wall with lvl 3 Archer
-0/1,200.

one last note.
As I was writing this I decided I liked the idea of this instead.

-archer becomes available at wall level 25.
-on level 1 research, archer population on the wall is at 1,200max.
- on a level 3 research world, archer population is at 0 on a lvl 25 wall.

Level 1 the archer gets basic training and basic bows and bulky heavy equipment.

Level 2 the archer get upgrades for lighter armor and more training, gets longbows for increased range but the bigger bows make the archer leave cover to search downrange for targets leaving them vulnerable and have slower reload times but more attack damage with the powerful bows.
So now archer population is at 0/800max.

Level 3 the archer has advanced training and able to be just as deadly. Trading in the longbow for a crossbow, the archer has less range but can now reload faster and fire 2 shots off, range is reduced dramatically. Smaller weapons allow the crossbowmen to have better cover, but less stopping power. ( damage) Population for wall is now- 0/1200.

- I really like my this idea alot more, and it will also have differences in cities because some may want better range, but sacrifice Cover and less troops but able to attack targets gutter out, slowing them down so you have more time to build troops inside the city. Or some cities might want short range archers for more troops but less damage done.

It keeps it level. Adds variety in the world and bring a new role for the wall to play. I hope you boys at playmesh take what I have said and uses it. I have spent 3 weeks working on this.

I think if you take the ideas from the first "idea" and the structure I put down for the second " idea" you will have a whole new element to add to valor and make it that much more. Valor.

Kausca
Lancer

Postby Kausca » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:30 pm

The above idea is pretty creative; it's different than the other posts we've seen previously and develops a different style of dealing with archers. I like the idea of it, but why would I want archers over lancers or sentries? Would they just be a super unit, and if they were, wouldn't we just be eliminating the need for lancers and sentries?

Kausca
Lancer

Postby Kausca » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Sorry for the double post, I don't know how to edit.

Also, if archers are used to bolster and make the wall stronger, why wouldn't we have a discussion about just increasing the wall level? Just some thoughts, if we can modify the above idea to change gameplay, I'm all for it.

Vexulinculen
Lancer

Postby Vexulinculen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:51 pm

No. We would still need lancers and sentries. Archers get killed easier, have less attack damage, and a set amount you can build at any time.

If a force of 3K beserkers and 4K guardians came, you would want more then 1,200 archers ( which is the max you can have ) so you would still want to build sentries and lancers.

The archer just can take down armies long or short range ( depending on what you researched) before the army hits.

Like for instance, someone sends 100 rams your way, (most armies had archers in there cities to pick off targets before they hit). So the archers could then attack the rams and the troops pushing them, and take a few out before they even attacked the walls,
So you could have only 68rams hit instead of 100 by archers.

They are really a defensive element only that reside in your wall and you can build them at lvl 25 and with forge upgrade. They have a set amount 1,200Max. ( maybe 1,500-2,000 with a premium gold buying item maybe?)

They need to be implemented and I believe in a midevil game, it fills like a piece is missing without archers and I believe I have made a way for them to work and for people to be happy with them.

Karl302
Guardian

Postby Karl302 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:08 pm

I'd like to see them as a stay at home only unit. It's so easy to take over a city even with guild protection that a city does need a little more defence

TeerraM
Knight

Postby TeerraM » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Could make archers like this:
Attack 20/25
Deffence against mounted: 25
Deffence against infirtary: 30
Walk time: 8 min per field
Berzerkers have a bonus attack against archers?

Walkerboh
Lancer

Archers broke Evony

Postby Walkerboh » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:23 pm

I have an idea of why the debs did not include archers. I played a browser game called Evony and one you got archers to a certain level they were way overpowered. People would attack with armies composed entirely of archers. The range aspect made them powerful against all units as they would be able to start killing them before the melee units were in range. Honestly I think archers belong in a game like this, I just don't know how to keep them balanced.

Mosser
Knight

Postby Mosser » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:40 pm

I think the archers should be like rams, but instead of attacking walls, they should take a chunk out of the enemies troop count instead.
Rams hit an enemies walls before your main army attacks, archers should do the same, except they'd attack your enemies troops instead.

Swindled
Lancer

Postby Swindled » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:11 am

I have it... Make archers the defensive version of scouts.... It would be balanced, and add a huge deal of strategy. Rather than massing scouts for attack and defence... You have to choose to scout, or not be scouted!!! I know right? Im brilliant. I should be paid for my ideas. Loll

Return to “Ideas/Suggestions”