Old World Game Type

Post here any ideas or suggestions you have for improving Valor.
Bolba
Lancer

Postby Bolba » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:03 am

I personally think that you should implement a classic game mode for us veteran players. I won't bash the new worlds because I do enjoy them. But they just don't have the same feel as older worlds. I don't see any cons in doing this you still have new worlds but you also have some old world types. Although I still think MCM should be your top priority. If this does get implemented keep some new features like the new map

The00Drew
Lancer

Postby The00Drew » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 am

BANE wrote:What the hell is bullet chess
Fast chess, also known as blitz chess, lightning chess, sudden death, speed chess, bullet chess and rapid chess, is a type of chess game in which each side is given less time to make their moves than under the normal tournament time controls of 60 to 180 minutes per player.
Contents [hide]
1 Overview
2 Championships
2.1 Unofficial (1970)
2.2 World Blitz chess champions
2.3 World Rapid chess champions
3 Criticism
4 References
5 Further reading
6 External links
[edit]Overview

The different names distinguish the maximum duration of a game. Commonly used time controls are:
Rapid or Quick: 15 to 60 minutes per player, sometimes with a small time increment per move (e.g. 10 seconds).[1]
Blitz: 15 minutes or less per side. Usually sudden death (no increment), but may also be played with a small increment. More recently due to the influx of digital clocks, 3 minutes with a 2-second add is also preferred.[1]
Bullet: 1 to 3 minutes per side. The time control for this setting is 2 minutes with a 1-second add or 1 minute with a 2-second add. The term "Lightning" can also be applied to this variant.
Lightning is a term used for either Blitz or Bullet chess, and is a general term for extremely fast chess. It can also refer to games with a fixed time (e.g. ten seconds) for each move. This also can be used for 1-minute games.
Armageddon: a game guaranteed to produce a result, because Black has draw odds (that is, for Black, a draw is equal to a victory). To compensate, White has more time on the clock. Common times are 6 minutes for White and 5 for Black, or 5 minutes for White and 4 for Black. This can also be played with a small increment. This is also known as "time odds" and it is used in various tie breaks for quick tournaments.
Before the advent of digital clocks, 5 minutes per side was the standard for Blitz or Speed chess. Before the introduction of chess clocks in the mid 1950s chess club "rapid transit" tournaments had a referee who every ten seconds called out.
In 1988 Walter Browne formed the World Blitz Chess Association and its magazine Blitz Chess, which folded in 2003.[2]
In some chess tournaments and matches, the final standings of the contestants may be resolved by a series of games with ever shortening control times as tie breaks. In this case, two games may be played with each time control, as playing with black or white pieces is not equally liked among players. The short time controls in fast chess reduce the amount of time available to consider each move, and may result in a frantic game, especially as time runs out. A player whose time runs out automatically loses, unless the opposing player has insufficient material to checkmate, in which case the game is a draw. "Losing on time" is possible at even the longer, traditional time controls, but is more common in blitz and rapid versions.
The play will be governed by the FIDE Laws of Chess, except when they are overridden by the specific tournament. A common rule used in fast chess tournaments is that if a player makes an illegal move, the player's opponent may point it out and claim a win. For example, if a player leaves his or her king in check, the other player may claim the win. This rule can be left out for a friendly game or left in for what some consider to be a more exciting and fun game. However, in case of a dispute during a tournament, either player may stop the clock and call the arbiter to make a final and binding judgment.
The terms blitz or blitzkrieg in chess sometimes means a quick attack on the f7 or f2 square early in the game, putting the king in check.[3] This term is not limited to Fast chess.
The 👀Drew🌀™

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:46 pm

EmperorTrajan wrote:PwnLaw you are misinterpreting the point that has been stated here time and time again. Many players prefer older settings, and if they don't get their wish…they will leave. All we are asking is for a 'classic' game mode for us to play in. Is that too much to ask for?

I understand that trade off, and I'm really unhappy about the fact that I can't please everyone on this one. I love a lot of our veteran players and I would very much like them to stay with us as we move forward. Old worlds just aren't very healthy for the game -- they stagnate and cause most new players to leave (the newer worlds keep a lot more players). Spinning up a separate game type of legacy worlds solely for veteran players would be very time and cost intensive. It's not that I don't care, believe me I do. I care a lot.

This is one of those times as a game developer where you wish you could be all things to all people. I wish I could improve the game without making any of the stalwarts unhappy. It just isn't feasible if we want to keep the game evolving and growing.

I'm saying this because I want you to know that I hear what you're saying and I care about those feelings. Standard public relations practice would be to say "we're considering it" and then string you along for a year or two. You guys cared enough to be honest and open with me, so I want to show you the respect you deserve by being honest in return. I realize these answers may be frustrating, but you're entitled to them.

But look on the positive side, you have a Game Lead that is actively engaged with the community and I am willing to continue making changes and adaptions to the new worlds to see if we can make them the type of experience you would be interested to playing. I can't wait to figure out some of these possibilities, and I hope you'll participate in that process.

McMorris
Lancer

Postby McMorris » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:25 pm

How about this PwnLaw:

One new old style world a year. Have it come out on the anniversary of Valor. And it only stays up until the next year when a new one is started. I know in the old worlds battles drag out over a long period of time so this could work I think. Call it a Valor legacy world or something along those lines. Maybe have certain requirements for deciding which players can get into it. I can understand how the game will not remain the same forever. So make it something exclusive like what you have done with the creation of the Tournament of Champions. As for the money aspect I'm sure Playmesh/Quark Games can handle running one old style world a year. I hope you consider this.

Morris

Jonflybynight
Lancer

Postby Jonflybynight » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:15 pm

I would just like to see the option if being able to choose the old legacy worlds again instead of being stuck with the new standard worlds.

Leroyingo
Lancer

Postby Leroyingo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:20 pm

My biggest suggestion for OLD worlds (pre 100) to get them moving and towards an end would be to get rid of all barbarian cities left on the maps and if a player barbs, make it like the new worlds and make their cities disappear. Too many of these 'old world have people just capping inactives or barb cities which were once player cities. Getting rid of all spare cities would more likely make people attack each other rather than doing clean ups. And if they do make some new big worlds again I would propose a 6 month limit on barb cities to limit the size of people before being forced to attack each other. My 2 cents on the old world game type.

Karl302
Guardian

Postby Karl302 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 pm

I play W36 my only world. I'd like to see some new players in this world there are plenty of 30k+ city's for new players to take over and start a empire plus braving out nonactive players would leave even more city's up for grabs. Just a thought

Arrigo
Lancer

Postby Arrigo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:01 am

I agree. I am fighting for my life in one if the old worlds because I do not want to lose the valor that I love. I have played the old worlds and the new and I prefer the old. This is not to say that the new are bad, simply not appealing to me. My guild recently went from being the most dominant to one fighting for its life. Things can change and completely alter the course of such a long world. Add to the anticipation and novelty when two behemoth sized guilds from opposite ends of the world slowly advance toward each other to finally collide and exchange blows. There is a sense of variety and possibility I'm the old worlds that is absent in the new ones for me.

McMorris
Lancer

Postby McMorris » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Absolutely Arrigo. With the new worlds the smaller size gets in the way of a truly epic war to break out. The size and magnitude that made Valor stand out has been lost I think in the new worlds.

Hiitsmeeeeeee
Knight

Postby Hiitsmeeeeeee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:39 pm

I agree, from my experience and from what I have heard, the true war only last up to a week. After that one side obviously is stronger and the other side is mostly destroyed. The wars are way too short for me to actually enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I like the wars, but it's nothing compared to the old ones. They are over too quickly and they don't feel as in-depth or "even" as before. By the even I mean a single guild could withstand the power of another, much stronger, guild by sending support and using the right tactics. Now it's more who has a bigger army and is the most aggressive.

Return to “Ideas/Suggestions”