Limits on how much money players can spend

Post here any ideas or suggestions you have for improving Valor.
ValoriusRex
Lancer

Limits on how much money players can spend

Postby ValoriusRex » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Yes, I know this goes against Quark's business strategy, but hear me out.

I am in a week-old world with a 100k point player. He capped his first city after three days, and got the decapolis medal within six. He admitted to having spent $600 in the first day alone. He has most likely spent well over $1000 by now.

Normally, I don't care if a player buys coins. Almost everyone does it to some extent. And what this player is doing is perfectly legal. But how is this game supposed to be competitive when he's capped 10 cities before the next highest player has even built their academy? Why should we bother to even play anymore when we know that someone can come in, drop hundreds of dollars in the first day, and then steam-roll us with guardians on the second? The only thing slowing him down is the fact that he can only use one speed-up per building, and he can't speed up his troop production.

Quark most likely loves this player for all of the money he's spent on their game, but wouldn't it be a better long-term strategy to keep worlds competitive and addictive so that players come join world after world and spend a little in each one, rather than to allow worlds to be bought by a single player and cause the others in the world to uninstall the game out of disgust?

I'm not entirely sure how we can keep players from abusing coins while still allowing Quark to make money in the game. One idea I have is to have a daily limit on the number of coins a player can buy. Hopefully this thread will generate some other ideas. I'd also like to see what the rest of the community thinks about this. Am I over-reacting to this? Should I expect people to be spending a thousand dollars in every world that I join? Has anyone else encountered a player like this and if so, how did you deal with them? Is there any way to beat someone with unlimited resources and speed-ups at their disposal?

LordFirefall

Postby LordFirefall » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:50 pm

No, you won't see that in every world. There are a small handful of players that do that, but that advantage fades as the game progresses. Buying resources directly is real expensive, and not worth it after the first week or so. A strong guild can overcome them, because many of those types are real selfish. Then, Quark will likely get at least 50 GP, every other day, as hhe truces. If that doesn't work, move on to another world and leave the player alone with the empire they have bought.
W95 Praetorian Guard Guild Leader
Kakao: LordFirefall or Firefall

KingEvo
Guardian

Postby KingEvo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:19 pm

doubt anyone will ever put a cap on the gold anyone can buy lol.

CreatorPrime
Lancer

Postby CreatorPrime » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:18 am

They are certainly beatable but I agree with you in that it's silly to be able to purchase such a huge advantage in a game based on competitive PvP. See http://forum.quarkgames.com/showthread.php?7767-Some-feedback for some of my thoughts on gold.

Imya
Knight

Postby Imya » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:01 pm

ValoriusRex wrote:Yes, I know this goes against Quark's business strategy, but hear me out.

I am in a week-old world with a 100k point player. He capped his first city after three days, and got the decapolis medal within six. He admitted to having spent $600 in the first day alone. He has most likely spent well over $1000 by now.

Normally, I don't care if a player buys coins. Almost everyone does it to some extent. And what this player is doing is perfectly legal. But how is this game supposed to be competitive when he's capped 10 cities before the next highest player has even built their academy? Why should we bother to even play anymore when we know that someone can come in, drop hundreds of dollars in the first day, and then steam-roll us with guardians on the second? The only thing slowing him down is the fact that he can only use one speed-up per building, and he can't speed up his troop production.

Quark most likely loves this player for all of the money he's spent on their game, but wouldn't it be a better long-term strategy to keep worlds competitive and addictive so that players come join world after world and spend a little in each one, rather than to allow worlds to be bought by a single player and cause the others in the world to uninstall the game out of disgust?

I'm not entirely sure how we can keep players from abusing coins while still allowing Quark to make money in the game. One idea I have is to have a daily limit on the number of coins a player can buy. Hopefully this thread will generate some other ideas. I'd also like to see what the rest of the community thinks about this. Am I over-reacting to this? Should I expect people to be spending a thousand dollars in every world that I join? Has anyone else encountered a player like this and if so, how did you deal with them? Is there any way to beat someone with unlimited resources and speed-ups at their disposal?

If I were you I would personally thank this player. Players spending money like that allows those who don't want to spend much or any to keep playing. If Quark doesn't make money the game cannot go on.

If you want a world where spending is limited I think the new speed worlds cover that. Roughly $5 gets you into the world and I think all gold is disabled in them?

MyName999
Scholar

Postby MyName999 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:36 am

[INDENT][/INDENT]You want something much more efficient than buying resources in the early stages: FARM FARM FARM.

[INDENT][/INDENT]Gives you much more resources.

[INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][/INDENT]"So I think there would be limited amount of resources to farm"

[INDENT][/INDENT]So to be better, play more!!!

[INDENT][INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]"There must be a limited time activity on Valor for players needing lots of sleep time"

Lol, only cheating is forbidden... Stop annoying Que because is much more rich than us!

Slaskio
Lancer

Postby Slaskio » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:42 am

I am currently ranked 8th, soon 4th, in W138. Insomnia has given me an unfair advantage >.< as with all of the other games I've played that are similar to valor, I can with out a doubt say yes gold can give a huge advantage early on. But it's how you spend this gold, and how well you can use this advantage you created that matter. Just remember the bigger you are, the bigger the target you are.. ;P

Pauld2468
Guardian

Postby Pauld2468 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:33 am

About the only thing i would like to see that gold cant buy are resourses.

Ive played a similar game (lords&knights) and you cant buy resouses anywhere period. I think this would even the playing field considerably.

you can also trade with your guild mates imedietely and to your other cities from day one

For those who claim to not need gold to be at the top should be the ones agreeing with this suggestion.

Those that dont are the ones im pretty sure of that are spending gold on it.

Imya
Knight

Postby Imya » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:21 am

The worst thing you could spend gold on IMO is resources. Early on a queue extender is much better later on the resource boost or the one time conversion of a few 100k of iron to clay is way more helpful.

I suppose if you have unlimited founds buying gold and speed ups could be over powered. But even so it would mean Quark is getting paid and I'd welcome them making money to keep the game going.

A guild/alliance of smart players can generally always take down one player who buys his/her way up early on. Find a good guild and don't worry about the players who buy gold especially if you don't buy it. Don't think you can survive on your own, and it's the gold buyer keeping you down.

Pauld2468
Guardian

Postby Pauld2468 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:47 pm

I'd also ask to get rid of the instant scout feature.

I recruit alot of scouts (500+ usually) for the reason that would make a non-buying gold buyer need to recruit more than my scout count to scout sucsessfully.

It would not matter how many scouts i have a quick 25 gold and im instantly revealed without consequences from the instant scout gold buyer.

To remedy this loss in revenue for quark. i would be happy to spend more gold on things like truce and que extender

Or perhaps have an instant scout scale for an attack to be sucessfull

example.

25 gold- 100 scouts
30 gold -200 scouts
40gold-400 scouts
50 gold-500 scouts

And so on

If i have more scouts than the instant scout allows then the scouter would get the same detailed information as a regular scouting mission would get

Return to “Ideas/Suggestions”