Capital Idea

Post here any ideas or suggestions you have for improving Valor.
DutchDuke
Lancer

Capital Idea

Postby DutchDuke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:20 am

Hi Valorians,

Now the servers are down, I decided to spend some time on the forum to post my ideas. I appreciate the effort that Quark puts in this game, so why not help them with some player feedback?

Introduction
So far we have two kind of cities: lords and barbs. The main differences are the available buildings and troop types, production levels and the way they are captured (loyalty vs influence). It is pretty well balanced, but in mid game I notice a pretty high number of zerks around in most worlds.

The reason is that barb cities are capped much easier. Trainling lots of zerks there is quite effective to expand your territory big time. Since rams are needed to bring down walls, lords need to be capped/converted at strategic positions for optimal growth. So a typical good player will have some lords and a much higher number of barbs.

This affects the way people defend their cities. Sentries are best against zerks, so it will be no surprise that many players have them in high numbers. In turn this opens up some possibilities for the relatively expensive mounted units, cause they do well against sentries. And so all units indeed have a function.

Suggestion
These high numbers of zerks are a risk for even the strongest defenses. I would like to assign one city as my capital and give it an edge against zerks. This opens new tactical opportunities for taking lords in enemy territory, but also has other uses. For example a player can build his palace (and thus creating his capital) at his first lord to defend at least one city properly against strong aggressors.

To leave room for other improvements with future updates, I would like to add two new buildings for this:
  • Palace: adding an extra 25% to resource production
  • Archer Tower: adding a 75% defense bonus against foot soldiers (cumulative with walls)

Of course both buildings need to come at a price, so a player should think twice before moving his palace to a new city. The resource bonus will make a maxed capital produce 10k of each resource instead of the current 8k. This bonus could makes it more interesting to choose where you want your capital to be. If it is in the center of your empire, you can send goodie packs to freshly capped cities quickly. If it is near targets, you can choose to replenish troops faster.

The archer tower is all about defense. One of the great things in this game is that it actually punishes players who are not aggressive enough. I like that, so I tried to come up with an idea in line with offense. By strengthening the capital one can keep chasing barbs with less risk to lose everything at once (by his only lord capped).

A player can only build one capital and archer tower. To move it around, he/she first needs to demolish his/her current capital and archer tower. In my opinion this way the demolish option at lvl 15 city halls would also make more sense. But this also adds a new question: "What happens to a capped capital & archer tower?". I think it would be great to keep those as long as you don't demolish them. So it's not like a player can cap 10 other capitals and rebuild them at other places, but it is a nice bonus to be able to keep them.

In a nutshell:
My idea is to be able to build a capital at one lord city, which will increase your production output. At a capital special building types can be built. My first idea would be an archer tower, so the capital can be defended better against zerks. Capturing a capital and archer tower is the only way to get more than one of those. But at all times a player can only build a new capital if he doesn't already have one.

Combined with the archer idea (read the archers thread) this would add new tactical possibilities. Quark Games wants to target the hardcore gamers, so creating room for new tactics is a smart way to go. I think both of these ideas combined would bring Valor to another level, but of course that's just my opinion. I would love to see your thoughts on this. If devs show they will do something with these ideas, I will be motivated to keep the ideas coming.

Strahd11
Knight

Postby Strahd11 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:48 pm

I disagree sir. There is no need for any "new" buildings. And if you made a lord city a "capital," and you lose it, what happens to the rest of your cities? Would it be as if you just lost your last lord city and all your barbs go up for grabs? And if "you" are taken out, assuming you live in your capital, would your people still fight? Maybe. But the game is over for "you." Just my opinion.

On a side note, as far as barb cities. I think there should be a limit to how many you can have. Say five barbs, to every lord city. After all, there is only so much influence you can exude from one city.

Don't take me wrong Dutch, you obviously put some thought into this, and there are some good aspects to what you're suggesting, I just don't agree with it. There is a similar post like this somewhere, but it talks about a guild function like this. A guild "vault" that can be used to upgrade how fast support arrives at a member's city, transporting resources and the like. I'll have to look for it. But I think it's in "ideas from a playmesher" thread.
Kakao id: Strahd49
Strength and honor

Strahd11
Knight

Postby Strahd11 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Correction "a thought from a playmesher" thread. Soulschreecher, page 4
Kakao id: Strahd49

Strength and honor

fortheLOVE

Postby fortheLOVE » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 am

i made a suggestion for civilization types to gain these bonuses that you speak of duke, while i think it's not a bad idea. i think the feasibility of application would be cumbersome, and what would come of boosts that are purchased by players? it would render your capital city useless. but would also make it hard to denote where it is to move it when you are over 300 cities. keeping track of these things would become to difficult and its use would become actually useless at that stage in the game.

i forgot where i posted my thoughts on the civilization base types. it may have been in the beta section and that may also be why it got less commentary. i'll actually repost it in the ideas section so all valorians can read and give feedback for the idea.
-enjoythefall
w110 Anarchy (Anonymous)

ItzJosh
Knight

Postby ItzJosh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:30 pm

First thing: if you claim it and it has those buildings, they will be there just as you say, so Ppl could have 20 Capitals, way too overpowered as nothing hits, and they use barbs as attack you say? You can do the same with defends? So whats unfair about it? I dont see the point you make, capitals are in my opinion too overpowerd 75%.... Thats nuts.

DutchDuke
Lancer

Postby DutchDuke » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:34 pm

@Strahd11: The game works with the current buildings. So you are right: new ones aren't necessary. I just think these new buildings could add some depth to the game. Losing your capital wouldn't end the world for you, as long as you still have lords around. This is the same as in the current version.

@fortheLOVE: Like you said boosts are purchased by players. So these aren't changed. In my idea a player with boosts would have 12.5k production levels at a maxed capital compared to the 10k for a regular player. When you get more cities, the importance of your capital will indeed be less. However there can still be use for it when expanding to enemy territory and strengthening your defenses there.

@ItzJosh: How would ppl get those 20 capitals? Right, by capturing them.. So you complain about a hypothetical situation of uber rulers capping 20 main cities of different players and this would make them too strong? Hmmm, I will not flame you as it is forum policy, but please put some thought into your reaction.. If you think 75% is too strong, you obviously never took a look at your wall specs..

Return to “Ideas/Suggestions”