Changes to Chaos on Worlds opened on/after June 6th

General topics and discussion on Valor.
StampX
Lancer

Postby StampX » Thu May 31, 2012 1:09 am

And fighting against chaos and hold attack slots open wasn't always the worst thing. It was a technical and rewarding way to play. Making player lose sleep to close up those windows. Just because they can chaos doesn't make it certain they are safe. I've taken cities with only 3 available openings. From major world player with hundreds of cities. Maybe you should find out how people bot the chaos and stop that. You all do not think out of the box at all with this.

Ash2damax
Lancer

Are you serious?

Postby Ash2damax » Thu May 31, 2012 1:36 am

PwnLaw wrote:We're not particularly bothered by the idea of a single city being captured and recaptured multiple times. This is exactly how it works in the real world, and it's led to some of the most impressive and memorable battles/sieges of all time. Our hope is to replicate that feeling of epic battles -- we don't like the idea of conquering being guaranteed.

Wow, you have got to be joking, right?

If you are aiming for a more 'realistic' game mechanic. You should take more of an interest in researching real seiges. I have done just this - as part of my degree - and i can reveal one major thing you have over looked...

When a besieger attacks and conquers a city - the besieging troops usually STAY IN THE CITY and dont immediatly start walking home. I suggest offering a similar method in-game (to make it more 'realistic').

Perhaps adding a keep X% after capture. This way the player has the option to keep troops that have already traveled a long distance to stay there (as immediate support). Instead of them getting there - capturing the city - walking all the way home and re-walking the distance to arrive as 'official' support.

Also in some sieges - the besiged troops surrender and sometimes are disolved into the workforce/army of the besiegers. This is another mechanic i suggest you look into to offer more excitement. The chace of troops surrendering could be based on; morale, luck, previous engangments with that player/guild, amout of troops left, troop ration besigers:besiged etc.

Ash2damax
Lancer

Postby Ash2damax » Thu May 31, 2012 1:41 am

Chance*
Ratio*

also; i agree with previous suggestions about sending support from other guilds. At the end of the day; people need a way to defend the city they have just taken. Sending support will be the only way when you remove chaos. Re balancing is needed AT THE SAME TIME - not weeks after!

Thanks

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Thu May 31, 2012 1:50 am

Just finished a 6 hour meeting on this topic, and a lot of the posts from this thread were put on the table to make sure the community was heard. We're going to have a follow up meeting in the morning and you'll get a comprehensive update by the end of business tomorrow.

I know that's not what you want right now, but I wanted to make sure you guys had something tonight.

I've read all of the posts (up to this one), and I'll be honest that it was pretty brutal. That said, I'd rather have a game where people cared enough to come over here and raise holy heck than not. So thanks for taking the time to say where you stood.

Keep writing and making suggestions. They'll all be taken into account.

Charben
Lancer

Postby Charben » Thu May 31, 2012 1:53 am

LordBrevik wrote:Constantly at risk, call a "Truce" .

But a truce cost "GOLD". Again, it is all about revenue. Chaos was a free truce in real terms. Now you will pay. Bet you don't delete the ability to buy truce , prestige , medics and loot thirst. It's all about the money.

StampX
Lancer

Postby StampX » Thu May 31, 2012 1:59 am

Oh realism? Really guys? How about weather. The ultimate dynamic in warfare. Especially this period of time kind of warfare. Let's not confuse games for real life. And games from simulations. I want weather. Snow storms, droughts, rain all of it. Since we are using a realism argument here. So let's agree this is a "game" games should be enjoyed by all. I am not buying the arguments from "veteran" old style players. I will ask if chaos has ever stopped you from conquering a target? I doubt it. Maybe short term. Anyway I don't care either way. I lose some low player point friends who keep good company in exchange for now chaos. I'd rather play with a bunch of talkitive newbies that are good people then a bunch of noobs who think this means anything to anyone. And bully types who pick on people a tenth there size. Or rather support anyone or any product that supports warmongering. Now that Ive typed enough I've morally talked myself out of playing. You bring back at least 25 attacks a player and lose the support chaos or this is all just hyped bs. Somebody got the idea they didn't like chaos even though I manage to fight through the chaos to take cities. I guess they haven't developed that ability yet over their worlds of experience. The 15 attacks is really upsetting me. Can you tell?

yuyoih
Lancer

Postby yuyoih » Thu May 31, 2012 2:04 am

Changing the gamplay mid game is unfair. No notice was even given. If you want to change the game, do to new worlds. Anyways, damage has been done. Many players have already quit and many more will. If you decide to reverse your decision, i suggest you restore the servers before the change.

TheGhost

Postby TheGhost » Thu May 31, 2012 2:13 am

Actually chaos is a relatively new thing

Ash2damax
Lancer

Excuse me?

Postby Ash2damax » Thu May 31, 2012 2:42 am

StampX wrote:Oh realism? Really guys? How about weather. The ultimate dynamic in warfare. Especially this period of time kind of warfare. Let's not confuse games for real life. And games from simulations. I want weather. Snow storms, droughts, rain all of it. Since we are using a realism argument here. So let's agree this is a "game" games should be enjoyed by all. I am not buying the arguments from "veteran" old style players. I will ask if chaos has ever stopped you from conquering a target? I doubt it. Maybe short term. Anyway I don't care either way. I lose some low player point friends who keep good company in exchange for now chaos. I'd rather play with a bunch of talkitive newbies that are good people then a bunch of noobs who think this means anything to anyone. And bully types who pick on people a tenth there size. Or rather support anyone or any product that supports warmongering. Now that Ive typed enough I've morally talked myself out of playing. You bring back at least 25 attacks a player and lose the support chaos or this is all just hyped bs. Somebody got the idea they didn't like chaos even though I manage to fight through the chaos to take cities. I guess they haven't developed that ability yet over their worlds of experience. The 15 attacks is really upsetting me. Can you tell?

If the realism comment is aimed at my input then i have this to say to you:

Weather, 'the untimate dynamic in warfare.
Weather isnt even in the top 10.

Training
Technology (weapons & armour)
Strategy
Leadership
Morale of conscripts
Health of conscripts
Location of battle (terrain)
Position of defences
Strength of defences
Technology (communication & planning)
Diplomacy
Luck
Weather (built into luck)

Excuse me if i am missing a few - i need some sleep.

StampX
Lancer

Postby StampX » Thu May 31, 2012 2:51 am

Weather is everything. *yawn* better read up on things. Especially in this time period the game takes place. Thats why they marched according to seasons.

Return to “General”