Fix chaos exploit

Post here any ideas or suggestions you have for improving Valor.
TheWolfWarrior
Knight

Postby TheWolfWarrior » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Chaos adds a benefit in that it allows the cities to build - without chaos or preventing an attack a city would not be able to build. If you eliminate chaos then the conquered city should be given a "protection" period so that it can rebuild. Growth is the key to the game, and chaos does encourage Guild play.

o0mun0o
Lancer

Postby o0mun0o » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:27 pm

How about putting a time limit on chaos, similar to Truce? so once Chaos is activated it will only last for 24 hours and player cannot bring city into chaos mode again in the 24 hours after chaos mode finish?

that way there is still some strategic and protection, but also a gap for counter attack etc.
and if you want continuous chaos mode/truce/chaos mode/truce then you can but you gotta spend gold for it.

oleoleo
Lancer

Postby oleoleo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:09 am

I hope you get rid of chaos. I think it's broken. Chaos as it's deployed in Valor is corrupted. Think about it: allies don't attack each other in order to protect them. Get rid of it.

First, my suggestion is to have your server rank the attacks held in the 40 slot space. A stronger attack (a real army) would bump a weak attack (a single ram) from the queue. This wouldn't change the attack time, only the existence of the purposefully weak attacks.

Second, remove notification of "There is chaos on the battlefield." If the instant messengers don't know when Chaos is achieved, and they keep pumping single units into battle without really knowing when to stop, they'll stop using it.

Third, assuming you return attacking units that get bumped from the queue, make it so that the sender doesn't know that unit is returning home (the countdown meter). They'll just get back when it's time. For current chaos players, this might be hours- of a unit wasting time. The reason you do this is to prevent the instant messengers from knowing when the 40 slots have been filled.

Moral of the story: limit the wrong information going out, and your abusers will stop.

Karl302
Guardian

Postby Karl302 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:02 am

Chaos as a whole is ok. I understand from a server point of view why it's needed. But there has to be a way to stop it or at least slow it down. It is being exploited I cant say how many time I've just scouted a city and after getti g the report its in chaos. Mabey make each attack have a minimum of 50 troops.

Vasasalo
Guardian

Postby Vasasalo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:16 pm

How about splitting it to have 2 chaoses of 20? One for offense and one for defense and no more.
If I send 20 support troops and someone else sends 20 attacks. My first support and their first attack meets and battles with no bonuses to either side. Like they are fighting on a field. Then my second fight their second and so on.
Or option 2 have the same 20 limit. Have group 1 stop and merge with every group following until the time it takes to get all twenty into one group and then it will attack the full group of my support troops. The winner will either then attack or support the original city.
🍺 cheers

NateIsGreat
Lancer

Postby NateIsGreat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:47 am

For those of you on either side of this issue I think you need to understand why chaos is here in the first place. Chaos was introduced if I remember correctly around May, 2011 during the update after World 7 started as a fix to server issues. In sure many of you who have received chaos know the lag that happens when you have 40 or more incoming attacks. Now imagine the lag you get if a SINGLE LOCATION has over 200 incoming attacks. It affects not only that player but every city around that player. It even affected my other worlds. You might think it is frustrating trying to get thru 40 attacks to break into chaos and attack. Now think about a time when there was no limit to the number of commanders you could send out and you could literally have 200 attacks from and/or to a single city. Now take that times a player with 40+ cities. When World 7 was introduced as the first to have more than 25 members per guild (it had guild limit of 50) it also introduced a whole new dimension of MASU which stood for Mass Attack Single Unit. When you had 50 separate players all time an attack to a single city to all land at precisely the same second (yes this was done before the advent of Battle Planner or any of the multitude of semi-incorporated chat features of today's Valor) it just overloaded the servers and caused them to crash, sometimes for hours at a time. Long story short the chaos feature was introduced so others could keep playing. I hate it and love it. Personally I think it develops a whole new strategy into the game and it is only those who cannot or will not work together with their guild mates and allies who lobby do hard against it.

oleoleo
Lancer

Postby oleoleo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:55 pm

NateIsGreat wrote:Personally I think it develops a whole new strategy into the game and it is only those who cannot or will not work together with their guild mates and allies who lobby do hard against it.

Interesting assertion. I am curious... is there a way to use the chaos strategy that does not involve a non-PlayMesh app?

TeerraM
Knight

Postby TeerraM » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:50 am

Chaos is useful, learn to use it against your enemies

Leushen
Lancer

Postby Leushen » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:30 pm

I am going to throw my two cents in because I love the idea of chaos, but not completely how it is implimented.

Allow chaos, but you have to have a predetermined # of troops in those 40 attacks. Say 500 troops per attack.

So if player 1 tries to chaos city A with 1 ram each attack. The city really isn't under chaos. It's just 40 troops headed to a city with 40 troop commanders.

But this way if player 2 is attacking city B, city B's owner really has to want that city to get someone to send 40 attacks of 500 troops each.

I could understand this being an example of chaos. 20,000 troops marching on a city is more realistic as chaos than having 40 single units marching on a city.

Tooltip
Scholar

Postby Tooltip » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Leushen, Theres still the fundamental problem of the 40 attack limit. If the limit is hit, no new attacks can occur, which is called chaos.

The only way to sidestip that is either for bigger attacks to override attack slots or to redefine the minimum troops needed to be called an attack at all.

Return to “Ideas/Suggestions”